tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 02 06:58:29 2001

re: KLBC: first post

I wanted to respond to this, but saw the KLBC and saw that taD, the BG had
not responded yet, and then saw that someone else already HAS responded to
part of it (the part about the word {vIgro'}.

For a first post, this is really good. I'll just toss a couple hints about
that second sentence.

In that second sentence {-mo'} could either be a noun Type 5 suffix moved
from {pab} to the trailing adjective, {Huj} (in which case, go back and
read about where nouns with Type 5 suffixes belong in a sentence), or it
could be a verb Type 9 suffix (in which case you should look at the word
order again, since subjects trail verbs).

In any case, as a beginner, it is always a good idea to post your intended
message in English as well as Klingon so the BG can tell if you have
succeeded in saying what you mean. This is so much kinder than saying
something in Klingon and asking the BG, "Can you understand what I said?"

Your message is a case in point, since you have clearly made a mistake, but
depending on what you meant, it would be one of two different mistakes. The
English translation would have made it clear which error you made. Did you
mean, "I'm frustrated because of strange grammar," or "I am frustrated
because the grammar is strange,"?

Once you become confident that you can speak in Klingon such that you are
using this list for its second mission (to say anything you want, so long
as it is spoken in Klingon), you won't need to provide English translations
any more, but whenever you want others to correct you, realize that the
task is much easier and successful if you provide a translation. Maybe you
have perfectly said something you did not intend to say. We won't know if
you don't profide the translation. Maybe there is a better way to say what
you said. Again, we won't know that until you provide a translation.

SarrIS

> From: "Paul K McIntosh" <[email protected]>
> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:21:56 -0500

> -------
>
> ghItlhwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'.  jImogh pab Hujmo'. qub pabwIj.
> choyajlaH'a' ?
>
> I read on the FAQ that grammer isn't really supposed to be corrected in
> KLBC, but I would like to know if whoever reads this can understand any
> of it. If you can, please let me know where any mistakes are. (This is
> the first time I've actually tried to write more than a couple of words
> in Klingon, and the grammer has been almost impossible for me to figure
> out.) Also, I saw the word   vIghro'  in a post and couldn't find it in
> the KD. What does it mean?

Back to archive top level