tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 19 22:44:33 2001

RE: To be or not to be Belanna

I am unaware of a *body* as such that recognises languages, but it is
consensus amongst linguists that any language learnt by a child in an
immersion situation (ie. spoken at home) while they are less than about 12
(the cutoff point for first language acquisition), and that they can speak
fluently, is a natural language. Guidelines are simply that *someone* speak
it as a first language. I think that Ethnologue, by Barbara Grimes:

http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/

is the current authority on natural languages per se.

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han