tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 14 09:04:03 2001

RE: KLBC: the -taH suffix.

From: Stauffer, Tad E (staufte7) [mailto:[email protected]]
>Without the suffixes {-taH} or {-lI'}, the event is a single action.
>{nay' vISop} would refer to eating a dish at a banquet, without focusing on
>a continuous process.

Or, without /-taH/ or /-lI'/, the statement could be one of generalities.

Ha'DIbaH vISop.
I eat the meat.
I eat meat.

In English, the first translation refers to the single action mentioned by
Tad.  It's an action that is not continuous.  The second translation means
that I eat meat, as opposed to NOT eating meat.  It's not an action, it's me
describing a tendency.  It's also not continuous.

SuStel
Stardate 1452.5

Back to archive top level