tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 03 09:29:41 2001

Noun phrases (was RE: KLBC: 'ol)

charghwI' ghItlh :

>Just to add what occurs to me:
>
>paw megh 'eb.
>
>Or if you really want to get somebody away from the TV and eat:
>
>nargh megh 'eb.

jIQoch.

Whose opportunity is it? Given this construction, I would read it as the
lunch's opportunity, and I don't think that's really where you want to
go. The lunch (being inanimate and all) really can't take an
opportunity, except in a metaphorical sense. Arguably, this might not
apply to Klingon cuisine which is served live, It's certainly
conceiveable that the serpent worms on my plate might take advantage of
my distraction and seize the moment, but is that really what you're
going for here?

My point (I did have one) is that this is a good situation to use a -meH
phrase. It's not the lunch's opportunity, it's the for-eating-lunch
opportunity.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level