tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 31 12:26:41 2001

Re: Questions

I said that {majatlh nuvpu'} sounds like "People, we speak" to me...

DujHoD replied:
> I would consider this to be an instance of ambiguity. This can be true of any
> subject, not just a first-person subject. For example, {jatlh nuvpu'} could
> mean any of the following:
>
> - The people are speaking.
> - People, he/she/they is/are speaking.
> - He/she/they said, {nuvpu'.}

I agree up to here.

> This is an accepted element of the language. I don't think {majatlh nuvpu'}
> is any different from {jatlh nuvpu'}.

there *is* a difference, in that in the first example the word {nuvpu'}
does not agree with the subject - indicated by the verb prefix {ma-} -
whereas it appears to agree in the second example. The pressure to
reinterpret the role of {nuvpu'} as something other than subject is thus
greater in the first example than the second.

if one would transform {nuv maH} into a relative clause and insert it
as a subject, I'd use a third-person prefix rather than a first person one:

?luSov nuv maHbogh. "The people that we are know this."
*wISov nuv maHbogh.

Idunno

					Marc Ruehlaender
					aka HomDoq