tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 30 23:49:13 2001

Questions

yu'mey vIghaj.
First, how would one translate declarative sentences like "We, the people,
in order...", or "I, Nephi, having been born..."?  The subjects are in the
initial position as a sort of introduction and anouncement.  Putting them at
the end would be untrue to the original work, and since the full sentences
in both these examples happen to be very long and convoluted, it would also
be confusing.  In the first quote, the placement serves as emphasis; the
second quote is from a work originally written in Egyptian without
punctuation, so the anouncement serves stylistically to introduce a new
section and topic.  Would the solution be something like "loDpu' maH", "We
are the people"; "nevI jIH", "I am Nephi" period, new sentence?  This is the
best thing that I could think of.  Another option would be some use of 'e',
but that is above my level.  I realize that I have only just begun the
postal course, which is excellent, and am not qualified to begin any kind of
translation, but the idea has really been bothering me.  Any thoughts?
Next, can 'tammoH' be a noun, as in 'tammoH'a'', a "Crouching Tiger"-zen
sort of name?  And can 'bang' be a verb, as in 'qabang'?
tIjang!
tammoH