tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 25 02:07:15 2001

RE: Research question concerning negation

>While I can see your point, I don't think this really qualifies as
>ambiguity. Remove the negation and you get exactly the same need for context
>to fully understand the statement. {Soj Sam puq.} What is the question that

That is a very good point, which I hadn't thought about. Maybe -'e' (if it
is focus) would come to the rescue without negation as well. Daniela had
asked about negation, and I immediately thought of her native German, where
the "nicht" can go practically anywhere in the sentence, negating nouns,
adverbs, or anything else, and I wondered how Klingon would handle that.
Again, the so-versatile-as-to-be-nearly-useless -'e' to the rescue. :)

--Andrew Strader
  "How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us."
  http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader

Back to archive top level