tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 13 20:16:18 2001

RE: KLBC: taH

qonwI' said:

	tlhIngan mu'ghomDaq {taH} vIlegh. 'ach *be at a negitive angle*
vIyajbe'.

	(I saw the word {taH} in TDK and the English translation was "be at
a negitive angle". What does it mean by that?)

No problems with the Klingon grammar here.

As far as I know, we have not been given any further canon explanation of
{taH} ("be at a negative angle"). It's one of those words that has an odd,
specific definition (such as {butlh} "dirt under fingernails" or {wech}
"serve fermented food at its peak").

A quick English description would probably be that {taH} means that
something is pointed downward. You would use {taH} in the same way that you
would use a verb such as {Doq} ("be red") or {QeH} ("be angry"). For
example, putting the subject in the normal position (after the verb), you
would have a complete sentence:

{taH choghvat} "The gangplank is at a negative angle." i.e. the gangplank is
lowered.

And since its definition is "be ______", it describes a state and could be
used as an adjective if you put the verb after the noun:

{choghvat taH} "The negative-angled gangplank"
or
{HIch taH} "The downward-pointing pistol"

Note that there is another verb {taH}, which means "continue, endure,
survive". There is also a related verb suffix {-taH} ("continuous").

- taD

Back to archive top level