tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 27 12:59:47 2001

RE: jey(KLBC)

quraq said:

> jey according to the first section of TKD means a verb defeat and in the
> addmentum it means itinerary how can person tell which from meaning from
> whiich?

There are various words in Klingon that have different meanings. {jey},
{SuD}, and {pov} are just a few. The same thing happens in English sometimes
- if someone uses the word "saw", are they talking about seeing something,
or about a tool to cut wood?
To tell them apart, usually we rely on context and how the words are used.
In Klingon, if a word has a verb prefix at the beginning, then it is
obviously a verb. Similarly, if there's a noun suffix at the end of the
word, it's going to be the noun version of the word.
For example,

{Dajey} means "You defeat him/her/it/them". It is made up of the verb prefix
{Da-} ("I - him/her/it/them") and the verb {jey} ("defeat").

{jeywIj} means "My itinerary". It is made up of the noun {jey} ("itinerary")
and the noun suffix {-wIj} ("my").

How you use the word in a sentence can give a clue to which meaning you
want. You can tell which meaning of "saw" I'm using in these two sentences:
"I picked up the saw and cut down a tree"
"I saw the movie"

Sometimes, you won't be able to tell just from how a word is used in a
single sentence. In these cases, you'll have to think about the whole
situation and not just an isolated sentence. If I said {bISuD}, this can
mean "You are green/yellow/blue" or it can mean "You gamble". If you just
sat on a freshly painted park bench and got paint all over, it probably
would be the first meaning. However, if you are very daring and taking
chances, it would probably be the second meaning.

- taD

Back to archive top level