tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 22:24:43 2001

Grammar Highlight Each Day (-vIp)

Disclaimer:  This is only a highlight, not an exhaustive approach.  The
highlight may not address all aspects of the subject.  Furthermore, this
highlight series is not sponsored by the Klingon Language Institute.

{-vIp}  means "be afraid" to do the action of the verb.

choHoHvIp = you are afraid to kill me
cho- = you do the verb to me
HoH = kills

nuqIpvIp = they are afraid to hit us
nu- = they do the verb to us
qIp = hits

This suffix is rarely used with a prefix meaning "I" or "we."  Though it is
grammatically correct, it is culturally taboo.

As a personal thought, not derived from The Klingon Dictionary, it is not so
culturally restricted to say "I am NOT afraid ........"  Thus, {jIHeghvIpbe'}
= "I am not afraid to die" is okay.

And, one might say {HIHoHvIpQo'!} = Do not be afraid to kill me!

Another personal note is:  {qagh DaSopvIp'a'?} could be quite insulting to a
Klingon, who is always fond of eating Ghak, and obviously never afraid of
doing so.
(qagh = Ghak [i.e., serpent worms served alive as food]; DaSopvIp'a' = are
you afraid to eat it)

peHruS

Back to archive top level