tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 02 20:01:48 2001

RE: qettaH yabwIj

Good question. My immediate gut reaction was that it was a question of
degree. From least perfectly similar to most perfectly similar, the
progression goes {rur}, {rap}, {nIb}.

Then I see your question and I think my gut reaction is totally baseless.
Meanwhile, it becomes quite confusing. Obviously {rap} and {nIb} require
plural subjects and no object, while {rur} gets a subject and an object. But
what about these plural subjects? Perhaps {nIb X Y je} equals {X rurchu' Y}
while {rap X Y je} equals {X 'oH Y'e'}.

But what if we are talking about two standard uniforms? What if we are
talking about weight or some other measurable quality or quantity? How else
would we indicate equivalence? 'Iv 'ugh law' SoH jIH ghap 'ugh puS? marap!

It's official. I'm confused. I invite others' reflections.

> The question "Are SarrIS and charghwI' identical?" (even in
> English) might very well be asking if they are identical
> twins, but in context, I think it's clear that pIl'o' was
> asking if SarrIS and charghwI' are the same (identical)
> person.

Or maybe it's my Evil Twin, Skippy. QIp'I'? The armpit is stupid?

> --
> De'vID

SarrIS

Back to archive top level