tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 26 23:29:52 2001

RE: FW: Pronunciation [was RE: K'Zhen Zu-Merz]

Thanks

> He is also [mostly] wrong to consider
> Klingon {w} to
> be a vowel in a word like {qaw}.

It's OK I have now managed to work out where I was going wrong in my
pronunciation involving the Vowel-{w}/{y} combinations..  Although no one
has commented whether I have got it right what I think now is that I should
pronounce the full {klingon vowel} and then while still producing the sound
move my mouth as to the consonant position and finish before the normal
expelation of air normally used to produce it.  The result in say {aw} does
sound like nothing in English and the nearest approximation to someone
trying to get to grips with the sounds is {ow}.  So in a way the The vowel
consonant character combinations describe the mouth positions "exactly" and
the change of sound after the vowel that for example approximates a klingon
{u} is just a side effect of moving the mouth to and starting but not
finishing the {w}.

Have I got it?

> [By the way, two vowels next to each other don't have to form
> a diphthong.
> The words "cooperate" and "reality" both start with two
> syllables separated
> by what I think are termed "abutted" vowels, where each vowel
> sound retains
> its distinctiveness.]

Not that you want it but I'll agree with that.

> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

qe'San

Back to archive top level