tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 16 14:17:34 2001

RE: maj ram (KLBC)

quraq said:

> I found this word going through the STE and it means good night but what
> is
> the klingon spelling of it.
>

> StaZ replied:
>
> maj is indeed Good, but ram I only know as being a verb meaning "be
> insignifigant"... perhaps someone else could enlighten both of us as to
> another meaning of ram (besides Random Access Memory... ha ha ha)

{maj ram} is the correct Klingon spelling. The simple translation of this
phrase is "good night", but that isn't entirely accurate. The full
explanation is given in Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, on pages 119-120.
In summary, KGT says that it is shortened from "Good; the night is short"
and "Good; the night is long".

As StaZ noted, there is a verb {ram}, which means "be insignificant,
trivial, etc.". However, there is also a noun {ram}, which means "night".
Both of these are listed in TKD.

- taD

Back to archive top level