tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 07:46:51 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: Do' (adv)

> Klingon word:   Do'
> Part of Speech: adverb
> Definition:     luckily

Perkynme asked:
: Is this word from one of the other sources discussed?  According to Okrand,
: there is no known word -- only that it is, possibly, an old word for "space
: vessel."  The only time it's used is in {'ejDo'}.

Look in the TKD glossaries.  You're confusing the hypothetical Old Klingon
*{Do'}:

  "It is quite likely that {Do'} is an Old Klingon word for space
   vessel (the modern Klingon word is {Duj}) that is used nowhere
   except in the noun {'ejDo'} [starship]. Of course, without
   further study, that remains pure conjecture." (TKD p.20)

with the verb {Do'} "be fortunate, be lucky":

  maDo'Ha'
  We are (always) unlucky. TKD

  maDo'be'
  We are not lucky. TKD

  maDo'choH
  We are becoming lucky. We are undergoing a turn of luck. TKD

  bach Do' qaH
  A lucky shot sir... ST3

  maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'.
  If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

and today's WOTD, the adverbial {Do'} "luckily, with luck":

  Do' Sum matlh. (MO on st.expertforum 9/01/97)

FYI, there are also the verb {Do'Ha'} "be unfortunate, be unlucky":

  De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'.
  Knowledge of useful information may be unfortunate. PK

(which can be used as an expression by itself:

  Do'Ha'
  It is unfortunate. That is unfortunate! TKD

  Do'Ha'.
  Unfortunate. ST3)

and the adverbial {Do'Ha'} "unfortunately" - introduced by Okrand in a brief
note in HolQeD 4.4 and later published in the KGT glossary.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level