tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 11 17:30:03 2001

Re: Please, read this before my last posting!!!

ja' Valerie:
>In my last posting, I was trying to determine the correct pronunciation of
>"ch."  What I meant was "H."  I sincerely apologize for this error.

DaH qa'meH vIttlhegh yIjatlh.

This is a perfect opportunity for a "replacement proverb".  Instead of a
simple apology, the appropriate thing to give is a special phrase which
everyone is expected to accept and then forget the whole incident.  The
actual meaning of the phrase is essentially irrelevant; consider them a
menu of equivalent options.  Here are a few of the common ones:

reH Suvrup SuvwI''a' "a great warrior is always prepared"
DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu' "set fire on the side when there is danger"
Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu' "only fools laugh while warriors die"
HIvqa' veqlargh "the Fek'lhr strikes again"

Pick one and use it the next time the situation is appropriate.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level