tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 31 15:21:05 2001

Re: TOS Episodes with Klingons

Qov asked:
> As many of us know, the TKD vocabulary list was created partly from
> dialogue given to Klingon characters in the original series.  Can anyone
> help me compile a list of Star Trek original series scripts that contain
> Klingon speaking parts?  I have these:
>    Errand of Mercy
>    The Trouble with Tribbles
>    A Private Little War
>    Day of the Dove
>    The Savage Curtain

SuStel adds:
>> Friday's Child

SuSvaj:
: There were also Klingons in "Elaan of Troyius."  This was also the
: premiere of the Klingon warship.

IIRC we saw their ship, but we didn't see any Klingons.

Klingons were mentioned - and lurked off-screen - in several other episodes,
but the number of episodes in which we actually *saw* Klingons was relatively
few for TOS's three-year run.  This paucity of Klingons, however, was about to
change.

I read somewhere that had TOS been renewed for a 4th season, Roddenberry
planned on making Capt. Koloth a recurring character (like Gul Dukat on "Deep
Space Nine").  The idea was that both Kirk and Koloth patrolled the same sector
of space, but on opposite sides of the Federation-Klingon border.  Koloth was
to have been a sort of Klingon counterpart to Capt. Kirk.  If you recall from
"The Trouble With Tribbles," Kirk and Koloth greeted each other familiarly when
the latter beamed aboard Deep Space Station K-7, indulging in a little
"friendly" banter: "Ah, Captain Kirk." "My dear Captain Koloth!"  Ah, what
might have been!

This is ironic in that actor William Campbell ("Koloth") was on the short list
to play Kirk after Jeffrey Hunter was no longer available for the series, but
that Roddenberry eventually chose William Shatner over him for what turned out
to be the role of a lifetime.  Campbell, who had worked on some of the same
television shows as Roddenberry in the past, kept on good terms with him,
eventually playing "Trelane" in "The Squire of Gothos" before coming back as
Koloth in "The Trouble With Tribbles".

Those who know Star Trek production trivia better than I can full us in on the
details.  (Hopefully, this story isn't apocryphal.).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level