tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 21 14:33:51 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: yIH (n)

: Klingon word:   yIH
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     tribble

Tribbles in canon:

  "... the question {yIH nuq?} 'What is a tribble?' is exactly
   parallel to the statement {yIH 'oH} 'It is a tribble" ... The
   answer to the question {yIH nuq?} ('What is a tribble?') would
   presumably be a definition or description of a tribble."
   (startrek.klingon)

Hut yIHmey
nine tribbles CK

wa'maH yIHmey lI'be'
ten useless tribbles CK

yIHmey DaHIj'a'?
Are you transporting tribbles? CK

ghobe', yIHmey vIHIjbe'.
No, I'm not transporting tribbles. CK

QuvlIjDaq yIHmey tu'be'lu'jaj!
May your coordinates be free of tribbles! PK

rut yIHmey ghom Hoch
Everyone encounters tribbles occasionally. TKW

  "As is well known, Klingons find tribbles intolerable--and,
   apparently, vice versa. The expression, therefore, means that,
   from time to time, everyone has to deal with intolerable
   situations. (TKW p.184)

'up; yIH rur
disgusting as a tribble KGT

yIHmey 'Iq vIlegh
I see too many tribbles. (HQ 8.3)

tlhoy yIHmey vIlegh
I see too many tribbles  (HQ 8.3)

  "... means 'I overly see tribbles' (perhaps this could be used
   if one meant something like 'I see tribbles far too frequently
   and in far too many places')." (HQ 8.3)

And, finally, the following answer by Okrand to an urgent query on the old
startrek.expert-forum (7/1998) about an insult needed for a story is rated
PG-18.  Younger or more sensitive readers are advised to avert their eyes.

,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,

  "Seems to me that the phrase that best fills in the blank ('I
   cannot be insulted by (a) t------ f-----') is the one suggested
   a while back by both SuStel and Qermaq: {yIH ngaghwI'} (I'd
   leave the "a" in the English: 'I cannot be insulted by a {yIH
   ngaghwI'}.') If this is translated as 'one who mates with a
   tribble,' perhaps it sounds too formal or clinical (in English,
   not in Klingon) to function as a curse or insult. If it's
   translated 'tribble mater-wither' or something like that, it
   has a somewhat better tone, but it's questionable English and
   therefore lacks punch. But English isn't the issue here; Klingon
   is, and, unless I'm missing the point, {yIH ngaghwI'} should work.
   I trust that, in the story, the Federation officer who utters the
   phrase is prepared for what the Klingon may do next."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level