tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 10 20:11:14 2001

Re: The Year of the Horse -- THANKS

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:27:05 -0500, Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:
>Of course, a company
>in Japan will have no problem understanding the use of the suffix -'e'
>being a topicalizer.

Gomottomo desu.

Of course, from a Japanese standpoint it seems most natural to put
the topic first and the commentary about it after, saying, in effect,
"I'm talking about X, and what I want to say about X is that...."
But I understand now that Klingon handles it differently.

Thanks very much to everyone who responded to my request, especially
for the pointers about grammar and style and the information about
{sarghmey}.

David Trimboli noted correctly that not all Terrans consider 2002 to
be the year of the horse.  However, all the Terrans who will be
getting this card *do* consider it so, so I've made the judgment call
of leaving in the {tera'}, even if it is ethnocentric.  (For that
matter, not all Terrans consider the upcoming year to be "2002," and
in fact the company's greeting card refers to it only as "Heisei 14"
-- the 14th year in the reign of Japan's Heisei emperor.)

I opted to use the word {sargh} instead of *horse*, mostly because
the printed results look more attractive.  Again, this was a judgment
call.

So here's the text I gave to the people who are putting the card
together:

  Sargh DIS 'oH tera' DISvam'e'.

Thanks again for all the help and the thought-provoking discussion.

--
Stephen A. Carter <mailto:[email protected]>                     (
High-Tech Information Center Nagoya, Ltd.           _____________ )

Back to archive top level