tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 09 06:34:57 2001

Re: Klingon Mode of Tengwar

David:
> As explained in Appendix E of LORD OF THE RINGS, the Tengwar are divided
> into four series and six grades, with additional letters added.

Note that there actually an extra two grades, with the stem extending both
above and below the letter - used in the title-page English for the words
"of" and "the". But you don't seem to need them.

> #33 was an alternate for #11 (though I'd hardly call it a "weaker"
> sound), so /Q/ will go on #33.

You might also put it on hwesta (12) or even unque (16). Or take a cue from
the English transcription and put it on anga (7).

> 29=S

Don't forget that silme nuquerna (30) was usually a variant of silme, used
for convenience when there's a tehta above the letter.

> And there it is!  SuStel's Klingon mode for Tengwar!  As logical a layout
> as you can devise.

Looks good - the only change I'd definitely make is using silme nuquerna
for /S/ when followed by a vowel (writing tehtar above the normal silme or
esse feels wrong).

For /Q/, I'm not sure. I probably would end up putting it on unque (16),
even if it isn't strictly phonologically correct... it's close, and it'd
stop /'/ being all alone in the calmatema.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools