tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 21 15:33:24 2001

Re: Strongest Among Gauls

tamwI' said:
> Another question that I have is how to say "among" in the
> comparative sense: he was the strongest among the Gauls?
> The best I could come up with would be
> <<ghaH HoS law' Hoch *Gaul HoS puS>>, what do you think?

SuStel:
: So we might do the same thing with your Gauls.
:
: *Gaul*'e' ghaH HoS law' Hoch HoS puS.
: He is the strongest of the Gauls.
:
: Literally, it's saying "Regarding Gauls, he is the strongest."

One small correction:

  *Gaul*ngan'e' ghaH HoS law' Hoch HoS puS.
        ^^^^
to show you're talking about Gauls (people) vs. Gauls (countries) -- of which,
as you'll recall, Caesar tells us there were three.  OF course, the pronoun
{ghaH} tells us the same thing, but a little redundancy in language is a good
thing.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons