tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 18 15:02:31 2001

KBLC

HIvqa' veqlargh
I apologize for not introducing myself initially, I was overly excited at
finding such a group dedicated to such a language- most of the languages I
study don't have such a resource.
My name is Carter Cheney/ tamwI' jIpong'egh (I saw this construction
somewhere online, wouldn't it be correct?  Like "me llamo ..." in Spanish?)
I love languages.  I am trying to seriously learn Chinese, Mongolian and
Tibetan, as well as exploring many others.  What I lack in ability I make up
for in obsessivness.  My special hobby is syntax, but I am getting a crash
course in phonotactics on the Elfing mailing list (Tolkien's artlangs).
Until I found tlhingan I had never heard of conlanging.  Anyway, I am very
excited to have found a group of serious and accomplished linguists to learn
from!
I learned on my last post that <yu'> can't be a noun, but I am a little
confused.  In Chinese a given word, with some exception, can be a noun or a
verb: "ai" is both "love" and "to love".  I got the impression from the TKD
section on <ghach> that there is some ambiguity, and I had read on the list
that MO knows chinese.  I take it though that a given word is only what it
is listed as, and only some words are given as both noun and verb.  Perhaps
someone could comment on the grammatical differences and similarities btwn
Chinese and tlhIngan?
Another question that I have is how to say "among" in the comparative sense:
he was the strongest among the Gauls?  The best I could come up with would
be <<ghaH HoS law' Hoch *Gaul HoS puS>>, what do you think?
Thanks!
tamwI'