tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 12 21:00:58 2001

Mead

ja' DloraH:

>nuq 'oH [mead-bench]'e'?
>chay' mughlu'?

qavan, DloraH quv.  qep'a'Daq jIHbe', jIH je.

If this is from the introduction to Beowulf, the things Scyld Scefing
deprived people of, it is two things:  literally the place where the
war-band sat in a lord's hall to drink mead, and metaphorically (as it is
used in the poem) a symbol of the lord's sovereignty - I suppose a
synechdoche for his hall, thus his retainers, and therefore his power.  So
it foreshadows (the
Beowulf poet is very good at this) how far Scyld's grandson falls, when he
can not prevent the loss, not of his mead benches, but of the men who sit on
them.

Literally then it could be HIvje', or tach or any liquor word, or even food
words,  or HIq raS, but metaphorically ... what is the symbol of a joH's
sovereignty - his ships I suppose, or his batleth, the batleths or other
weapons of his followers, no' DIr, betleH bey', Degh?  I think I would go
for ships or weapons - their symbolic significance in Klingon society is
obvious. Or is there some word symbolising both the power of a lord, and the
support he gives his followers which I've missed?

Qapjaj Qu'lIj.

naQSej

Back to archive top level