tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 26 05:46:24 2001

Re: vocabulary (was Re: To do or not to do...)

>ja' qurgh:
>
>You don't actually have to have everything memorized.  All you need to know

>is that certain words exist, so that you know how to phrase what you want
>to say.

This is very true although I'd love to have everything memorized.  Take it from
someone who didn't
believe this kind of comment until I accepted it and worked with it instead
of against it (see below).

>>Which is why I thought this list was here. So that those that have
>>gone before, and I must commend them all, can help lead us willing, but a

>>little slower, people along the path. I'm not saying spoon feed us, just
>>help us take the right paths as we go and deal with our vagueness, we are

>>doing our best :-)
>
>If you'd like to follow the path *I* took to get where I am, you're going
>to have to copy the dictionary by hand, word by word, writing or typing
>absolutely every definition given in TKD and KGT -- making sure to look at

>both directions -- plus the New Words List (actually, I got the post-KGT
>words from closer to the source, but that's not important).  Forcing each
>word through your eyes and brain and out your fingers will make sure you're

>exposed to all of them.  Even if you don't remember the details, you'll
>have encountered them, and you'll have a much better chance of finding an
>appropriate word in the dictionary.

Everybody takes and needs there own route but again this was something I thought
was silly until I
tried it..  It really does help give a familiarity and although time consumming
it is well worth it...  It
makes a big difference being able to say you know a word exists because you've
seen it rather than
looking for one word after another and sometimes never getting anywhere.

>Maybe you'd be more comfortable on a different path, but I can't guide you

>where I haven't been.
>
>>That aside, does anyone have any tips for learning vocab? I've tried
>>translating things on the list, and I remember words for a few days but then

>>they seem to float out of my brain.
>
>If you translate things every day, you'll never give the words a chance to

>get away.  Now all we need to do is make sure you have enough text to keep

>you busy translating...
>
>>I've tried ter'eS's great kliflash
>>program, but the same thing happens. Any other suggestions?
>
>To truly learn a language, you must use it.  I'm not certain, but I think
>my big boost in skill happened while I was practicing in real time with
>people on the MUSH.  We *really* have to get that running again.

I never had the opportunity to use the MUSH but I agree. How many people learn
more language when
amongst foreign speakers than when sitting with books and tapes.

Just an Idea but once you have your own word list and you find a way of expressing
a word or idea you
can easily add to it... Obviously make it clear that it isn't cannon or you
could confuse yourself and
others.... When I do this I add "word" on the english side and "Consider --XXXXX
or YYYYY" on the
Hol side...  That way it give you a link to possible alternatives... They may
still not be right for the use
you want to put them to but it's a starting point you may not have to repeat.

>-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Qapla'

qe'San

Back to archive top level