tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 10 08:00:25 2001

RE: KLBC: bangwI' (correction)

Techno Monkey said:

> > when I wrote: bang wa' Sovbe'meH vay': Qapla'
> > I was trying to say something like: to those who do not know a loved
> one:
> > success (i.e. good luck)

I replied:

> When you use the verb suffix {-meH} ("for the purpose of, in order to"),
> you
> are saying that something is happening in order for something else to
> happen. For example,
> {jISuvchu'meH jIqeq} "In order for me to fight perfectly, I practice."
> However, in your sentence, you are saying "Success!" for *people* and not
> for an action. Therefore, you want to use the noun suffix, {-vaD}:
>
> {bang Sovbe'bogh vay'}
> "Someone/anyone who doesn't know a loved one"
>
> {bang Sovbe'bogh vay'vaD Qapla'}
> "Success for anyone who doesn't know a loved one"

It was pointed out to me that I overlooked a grammatical rule here. On page
31 of TKD, it says that type-5 noun suffixes (such as {-vaD} here) cannot be
used on the first noun of a noun-noun construction.
{DopDaq qul yIchenmoH, QobDI' ghu'}
So it would be best if you use this as a complete sentence:

{bang Sovbe'bogh vay'vaD jIjatlh, <Qapla'>} "For anyone who doesn't know a
loved one, I say: <Qapla'>"
or
{<Qapla'>, bang Sovbe'boghvay'vaD jIjatlh} "<Qapla'>, for anyone who doesn't
know a loved one I say."

When using a quote in Klingon, the quote that you say (in this case, it's
<Qapla'>) can go before or after the main sentence.

- taD