tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 24 08:30:24 2000

Re: Navajo code-talkers

In a message dated 9/24/2000 9:34:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<  I seem to recall that Okrand studied Native American languages.  Does
 > anyone have any info on whether he specifically based parts of Klingon
 > on Navajo, and which parts? >>

I, too, do not have proof upon which languages Marc Okrand based Klingon.  I
have heard that it deliberately is supposed to be unlike any known language
here on Earth.  Of course, we are influenced by what we know.  I have also
heard that he likes Salish (Kootenai) a lot.  I personally have discovered
some direct take-overs from Mayan, Quechua and Aztec.  Some of the structure
seems to be a lot like that of Navajo.

Again, I have no proof.  I like to think that he did a good job of mixing up
things so that Klingon does not closely resemble anything we already have.

peHruS

Back to archive top level