tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 21 21:53:10 2000

Re: muv

ja' peHruS:
>Since {tuj muvwI'} means "thermo-suture," must I assume that the verb {muv}
>"join" means to connect to things together, not for one to join (enroll in,
>enlist in) an organization?

I wouldn't assume that.  {muvmoH} is in the dictionary meaning "recruit",
which seems quite reasonable as "cause (someone) to join [an
organization]."  So we apparently have a pair of definitions that don't
quite agree with each other about the root meaning of {muv}.  (The apparent
disagreement invites speculation to try to resolve it; see below.)

>Is this meaning not already covered by {rarmoH}?

"Cause (something) to connect"?  It looks like you might interpreting {rar}
to mean "be connected", instead of "connect" as it's given in TKD.

>If this is correct, how do I say enroll, enlist, join?

I'm of the opinion that it's the phrase {tuj muvwI'} which fails to follow
the general pattern.  Like other multi-word terms, its true derivation is
not necessarily obvious.  Perhaps it's a condensed version of a longer and
more accurately descriptive phrase.  Or perhaps what we think of when we
read the pseudoword "thermo-suture" isn't quite correct.  Maybe a
thermo-suture is a filament that, when heated, literally joins with the
tissue it's adjacent to; that would maintain the phrase's proper grammar
without losing what I think is the obvious meaning of {muv}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level