tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 19 08:41:10 2000

Re: KLBC moHaq Dup

"Joseph" writes:

> 2. Now I'm wondering whether the pronoun-trick isn't part of
> "common" usage at all (if in deed one can apply the concept of
> "common ussage" to tlhIngan Hol at this time), and therefore I
> should avoid using it. I  found it an interesting twist within the
> language, and at least in  written form (I've yet to actually speak to
> anyone in Klingon) I have  no problem understanding the meaning.

What you see as "an interesting twist", I, as a non-native speaker
of English, see as a disappointing copy of English grammar, which
most likely came about through careless translation of what rightfully
are IOs in English into Objects in Klingon, leaving the rightful
DO of the English sentence tacked on at the front of the Klingon
sentence. Very disappointing, especially from a person (Marc Okrand)
with a degree in linguistics.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]