tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 03:42:10 2000

RE: jatmey 'chopwI'

jatlh Hergh Suy:

> I've written a little klingon tounge twister
> it may need a little grammer fixing
> what do you think?
>
> jeQ jIH
> jeQHa'be' jIH

The verb {jeQ} ("be self-confident") here needs a prefix to show who is
doing the action. For verbs that are in the form "be (something)", such as
"be hungry", "be red", "be self-confident", etc. you want to use the prefix
that indicates no object. On the chart on page 33 of the Klingon Dictionary,
you will see in the upper left corner that the prefix for "I - no object" is
{jI-}.
So you can say:

{jIjeQ} "I am self-confident."
{jIjeQHa'be'} "I am not mis-self-confident"

Since the prefix {jI-} already tells you who is doing the action, if you
include the pronoun {jIH}, you emphasize "I":

{jIjeQ jIH} "*I* am self-confident."
{jIjeQHa'be' jIH} "*I* am not mis-self-confident"

> "jeQHa' ghaH" jIjatlhQo'

maj.

> nujDaq juqbe' jatwIj, joH

I think you have a typo here, since I can't find the word {juq} anywhere in
my word lists.
Maybe you meant {jeq} ("protrude from"). If so, then you can say:

{nuj jeqbe' jatwIj, joH} "My tongue doesn't protrude from the mouth, lord."
{nuj jeq} means "It protrudes from the mouth".

- taD

Back to archive top level