tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 25 11:27:36 2000

RE: More thoughts on the speed of light

> Although we know Klingons use the warp and impulse power scales to measure
> speeds, implying that Klingon physicists are aware of c, there's
> no reason to
> assume that they would actually call it the "speed of light" as we do in
> English.  For example, thanks to the BoP poster, we know know of
> the {loghqam},
> a unit of distance about 1.25 light years:
>
>   jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
>   High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years
>
>   jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
>   Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years

They may not call it the "speed of light" but the loghqam could still be
directly related to the speed of light just as a lightyear is.  The values
in the examples are different because they use a different clock and
calendar.

> But until he does, I *really* like *{'otlh Do} for this.

I find it quite interesting also.

DloraH

Back to archive top level