tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 03 05:56:11 2000

RE: KLBC Stress

ghaHbe'wI' said:

> I'm tired to hear that music every time I boot Windows, so I've written a
> sentence to substitute that .wav, that sentence is
>
> {ghaHbe'wI' yer Da'elpu' pagh Da'elta'. Qapla'.}
>
> which I translate freely as
>
> -You've entered <<who isn't>>'s domains purposely or accidentally.
> Success!
>
> Please note the pun with {-pu'} and {-ta'}, in this case they emphasize
> that the action, "to enter", has been done deliberately or without meaning
> to do it.

Note that {-pu'} doesn't necessarily mean that the action was
*unintentional*, just that you aren't emphasizing the intentionality.
However, since you've contrasted {-pu'} with {-ta'}, the sentence implies
that the action may or may not have been intentional.
If you wanted, you could also give added emphasis by using the adverbials,
{bong} ("accidentally") and {chIch} ("on purpose").

> But my doubt here is not about syntax, but about stress. I must pronounce
> this sentence and I'm not sure of where stressing the words. As a first
> attempt I put the stressed syllables between dashes
>
> {ghaHb-e-'w-I-' yer Da'-e-lpu' pagh Da'-e-lta'. Qapl-a-'}
>
> That is, both {-be'} and {-wI'} of {ghaHbe'wI'}; the verbal root {'el} of
> {Da'elpu'} and {Da'elta'}; and the last syllable of {Qapla'}. Should be
> {yer} also stressed? {ghaHbe'wI'} and {yer} form a noun-noun construction,
> and it's stated that the final noun of a compound has the main stress.

Your stress looks ok to me. It should be ok if you stressed {yer}. From
experience, I've found that for understanding spoken Klingon, proper
pronunciation is more important than following stress patterns. Also, TKD
says that some words have variable stress patterns, so we don't know
everything about placing stress.

> I read section 1.3 of TKD and Appendix II of Nick Nicholas' Hamlet. That's
> where I took the rules to stress in Klingon. Can someone help me to stress
> properly?
>
> Also, does anybody know if Klingon sounds can be written with IPA? I mean,
> how do we write phonetically the consonant {Q}, by instance?

I don't know IPA, so I'll have to let someone else answer this one.

batlh De'wI'lIj QIn Daqonjaj!

- taD

Back to archive top level