tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 28 16:17:09 2000

Re: tlhIngan Qujmey

In a message dated 11/27/2000 1:00:53 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> AFAIK we don't have anything for "board" or "plank", but since they're played
> on a flat surface, how about {Quj beQ} "flat game"?  (From KGT we have {nagh
> beQ} "stone panel (artwork, similar to a painting)" - literally "flat
> stone".)
> Or, {Quj SaS} "horizontal game" (e.g. regular chess, go, klin zha) vs. {Quj
> chong} "vertical game" (e.g. Federation 3-dimensional chess, Vulcan kaltoh)?
>
> Viewed differently, we could also simply call all of the above {raS Quj}
> "table
> game" vs. {De'wI' chu'} "computer game" for the computer varieties.

Hamlet uses {beQwI'} for "shelf."  The authors of Hamlet did not wait for
canon tlhIngan Hol but went ahead anyhow.  I do like the contributions Voragh
has given above about board and table games, in the absence of a word for
"board/plank."  Given that we 'cannot' extract word parts for use, SoSbor
does not attest an answer.

peHruS

Back to archive top level