tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 22 05:38:56 2000

RE: tIn/-'a' (was Grammar Highlight Each Day (Adjectivals))

> << What's the difference (in usage, connotation, or anything else
> relevant)
>  between " Dujmey tIn " and " Dujmey'a' "?
>
>  chris >>
>
> I know the answer, but this seems like a perfect example of something to
> put
> our Beginners' Grammar onto.  If Tad has not answered this by 1900 hours
> Thanksgiving Day, I will.
>
> peHruS

DloraH answered this question very well. Another difference to keep in mind
is that {tIn} and {mach} are verbs, while {-'a'} and {-Hom} are type-1 noun
suffixes. Therefore, different rules apply to them (such as noun suffix
order).

Just as another set of examples to compare {mach}/{tIn} with {-Hom}/{-'a'}:
{DujHom} "A minor/not-so-important ship". This might be something like a
paper airplane.
{Duj'a'} "An important/major ship". This could be something such as a
powerful battle cruiser.

{DujHom tIn} "A big minor/not-so-important ship". This might refer to a very
large paper airplane.
{Duj'a' mach} "A small important/major ship". This could be a model of a
powerful battle cruiser.

But peHruS is right, this is the sort of question that you can label with
"KLBC". That way, I know to read it and answer it.
Unfortunately, I'm going to be on Thanksgiving break until this Monday, and
probably won't have access to email at home. So whoever sends KLBC
questions, please be patient when waiting for a reply, and I'll answer them
when I return.

Qapla'!

- taD

Back to archive top level