tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 21 19:41:00 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (Adjectivals)

> > Dujmey tIn = big ships
>
> What's the difference (in usage, connotation, or anything else relevant)
> between " Dujmey tIn " and " Dujmey'a' "?

The suffixes -'a' and -Hom do not specify physical size; altho many times
they do have that effect.

DevwI''a', DevwI', DevwI'Hom
These three people could be the same size.
The DevwI''a' would be more important than the other two, perhaps a
Commander-in-Chief.  The DevwI'Hom perhaps just a squad leader.  I say
"perhaps" because context would (should) tell the reader how they fit into
the big picture.

Qun'a', QunHom
Greek mythology; Zeus would be a Qun'a'.  The "minor" gods would be QunHom.

mIv - helmet;  mIv'a' - crown.
A crown isn't necessarily bigger than a helmet, tho it could be.

veng - city;  vengHom - village.
Most likely the village is quite smaller than the city.  But don't think of
it as size.  Some of the villages here are bigger than some of the cities
I've been to in Arkansas.

When you see -'a' and -Hom, don't immediately visualize physical size.
That's what tIn and mach are for.

DloraH

Back to archive top level