tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 20 18:11:50 2000

Grammar Highlight Each Day (Unnecessary pronouns)

Disclaimer:  This daily highlight is not an official function of KLI.  It is
not a reiteration of the grammar section in The Klingon Dictionary, rather an
expansion of the explanations, often using different terminology than TKD
does.  Each highlight does not cover all the possibilities of the words
involved.

The following sentences have unnecessary pronouns.

loD vIlegh jIH = I see a man.
(loD = man; legh = see & vIlegh = I see him/her/it/them; jIH = I)

be' DaSov SoH = You know the woman.
(be' = woman; Sov = know & DaSov = you (sing.) know him/her/it/them; SoH =
you (sing.))

puq tlha' ghaH = He/She chases the child.
(puq = child; tlha' = he/she/it chases him/her/it/them; ghaH = he/she)

targh wIHot maH = We touch the dog*.
(targh = dog-/pig-like Klingon animal; Hot = touch, wIHot = we touch
him/her/it; maH = we)

vIghro' boyach tlhIH = You (pl.) pet the cat*.
(vIghro' = cat-like Klingon animal; yach = pet, stroke, boyach = you (pl.)
pet him/her/it/them; tlhIH = you (pl.))

mIl'oD luHaw' chaH = They flee a sabre-bear.
(mIl'oD = sabre-bear, a Klingon animal; Haw' = flee, luHaw' = they flee
him/her/it; chaH = they)

The unnecessary pronouns are jIH, SoH, ghaH, maH, tlhIH and chaH.  Klingon
speakers are allowed to use these pronouns in just such sentences; they just
do not need to use them.  The reason the pronouns are not necessary in the
sentences presented is that each verb has a prefix which indicates who is
doing the action to a third-person object.

peHruS

Back to archive top level