tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 02 15:56:30 2000

"Star Trek:Klingon" (KCD) soundtrack

Last week, I was mucking around with my Klingon stuff trying
to get Klingon sound files for Hallowe'en.  (I was trying to
get my computer's speakers to pour out a continuous stream of
Klingon.)  I have made a discovery that might be of interest to
Klingon speakers who own copies of the Star Trek Klingon CD-ROM
game.

I don't know if anyone else has discovered this already, but the
DUCK/TrueMotion compression format used in STK is the same as
(or at least very similar to) that which is used in the Sega
Saturn.

Thus, you can use the utilities that play Saturn TrueMotion
movies to view the STK movie files.  Unfortunately, the
picture's a bit distorted, but the sound is perfect.  You
can even convert the soundtrack into a Windows WAV file!

Some Sega Saturn utilities may be found here:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/3114/

The ones you'll want are:
tm2wave - save the soundtrack as a WAV
tmplay - play the video

An interesting file is the IP_1.AVI file on CD 1, which
contains the voice-over for all the items you can click on
in the game.  There's a lot of vocabulary there, some of
which don't seem to be covered anywhere else.  [I think
that some of these descriptions were left out of the game,
since I don't remember having heard them before.]

Of course, the materials are copyrighted by their respective
owners (Paramount, Simon & Schuster, etc.)  Anything you
make is for your personal use only, and you must own a
copy of the game to watch/listen to the files.

Now, if only someone would figure out what the heck Gowron
is saying in the introduction to STK... (It's a lot easier
to rewind, etc. when you've made a WAV file of his
speech.  {{=) )

--
De'vID

[p.s.
There are also some codecs downloadable from Duck that
are supposed to allow you to view TrueMotion movies, but
they are for QuickTime 3 and Video For Windows (the old old
old version of Windows Media Player).  Alas, my software
is too new to use them!  I tried using them on QT4, which
doesn't work at all, and in Windows Media Player 7, which
displayed the picture without the sound.

http://www.duck.com ]