tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 18:00:54 2000

Re: chay Doch Do maghmeH tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'?

Voragh:
>  Hoch lup 300 qelI'qam leng nughoSbogh Duj.
>  "Each second the ship approaching us travels 300 kellicams."

maj!  Much better.  Can this be extended to any other x/y quantity?

/HIqvaD Hoch tlho'ren 3 DeQ DaDIlnIS/
"For the ale, you need to pay 3 credits per klorn."

>  Hoch lup latlh 300 qelI'qam leng nughoSbogh Duj.
>  The approaching ship is accelerating at 300 kellicams per second per second.
>  ("Each second the ship approaching us travels an additional 300 kellicams.")

I don't think that works.  It still sounds like it's talking about
velocity here.  When your acceleration is, say, 300 k/s^2, you are not
just travelling an "additional" 300 k per second; you are adding an
additional 300 k/s to your velocity, per second. After, say, 3 seconds,
your velocity has increased by 900 k/s, and so you travel an additional
900+ k in that second than you would if you hadn't been accelerating.

How about:
/Hoch lup, Hoch lup 300 qelI'qam chung nughoSbogh Duj/
"The ship is accelerating towards us at 300 k per second, per second."

What we need is a way to say, "squared".  Do we know how to do
exponents in Klingon?  (I imagine that math terminology is on
the wish list already.)

Would /cha'logh/ work?
/cha'logh Hoch lup, 300 qelI'qam chung nughoSbogh Duj/
Nah, sounds too much like it's accelerating twice at 300 k/s.

De'vID:
> : The reason that I replaced the /'oH/ is, what does it stand for in
> : the above?  It doesn't stand for /wejvatlh qelI'qammey/, because
> : the velocity is 300 k *per second*, not just 300 k.  qar'a'?

Voragh:
> I'm not sure I understand the question.  In tuv'el's example the
> pronoun-as-verb {'oH} refers to {Do}, the subject of the 2nd sentence:
>
>   qaStaHvIS wa' lup, wejvatlh qelI'qammey 'oH Do'e'.
>   "During one second, the velocity is 300 kellicams."

Right.  When you have /B 'oH A'e'/, you're saying "A is B".
The above sentence says "During 1 second, the *velocity* is
300 k" - but the *velocity* isn't 300 k, the *distance* is
300 k.  Unless the /'oH/ refers to /qaStaHvIS wa' lup,
wejvatlh qelI'qammey/, "300 k, during 1 second"?  Can
/'oH/ refer to a sentence like that?  Intinct says no, but
I could be mistaken.  ('ach Duj tIvoqtaH, qar'a'?)
--
De'vID