tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 06:59:17 2000

Re: chay Doch Do maghmeH tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'?

tuv'el:
> chay Doch Do maghmeH tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'?
> "How does one use the Klingon language to indicate an object's velocity?"

Um, does /magh/ "betray" mean also to "indicate"?  I think it's one of
the meanings of "betray" in English, but does it have that meaning
in Klingon?

> For example:
> "The ship is approaching us at 300 kellicams per second."
> nughoS Duj. qaStaHvIS wa' lup, wejvatlh qelI'qammey 'oH Do'e'.
>
> Is that right?  Is there a better way?

I'm not a grammarian and this is only my opinion.  You've been
warned. =)

How about /nughoS Duj, qaS wa' lup, wejvatlh qelI'qam leng/?

The reason that I replaced the /'oH/ is, what does it
stand for in the above?  It doesn't stand for /wejvatlh
qelI'qammey/, because the velocity is 300 k *per second*,
not just 300 k.  qar'a'?

I also think you can use /qaS/ rather than /qaStaHvIS/,
and it'd still be understood.  I think this is the sort
of thing you'd want to say quickly, especially in the
heat of battle.

Of course, there is probably a specialized way of dealing
with velocities that Okrand/Maltz hasn't revealed yet.

--
De'vID