tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 10:38:05 2000

RE: Months and dates

veS joH asked:
> Is there any canon example of the length of a Qo'noS year and the names of
> their months (if they even use months)?

J answered:
: Months have been mentioned in Next Generation episode New Ground - the
: month and day Alexander was born is stated, which escapes me at the
: moment but it was like the ?43rd day of ?Maktak.

Good memory.  According to the Star Trek: Encyclopedia, "Alexander was born on
the 43rd day of Maktag" (TNG "New Ground").  AFAIK that's the only one we've
ever heard.

Linguistic evidence:  There's a native {tlhIngan Hol} word for month {jar} and
there are time words for "months ago" {wen} and "months from now" {waQ}.  (Or
do I have them backwards?)  So at least we know that Klingons do calculate time
in months.

However, we still don't know how many months there are, how long a Klingon
month is, whether all months are the same length, or how many different sets of
months there are (i.e. secular vs. ritual calendars, {ta' Hol} vs. {no' Hol}
names), etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons