tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 19:26:15 2000

RE: Klingon WOTD: wovmoHwI' (n)

> jatlh Voragh:
> >  However the good news is that because of {maSwov} "moonlight"
> we suspect
> >  that there MAY be a noun *{wov}, either historically or just
> left out of
> >  what is a relatively small vocabulary.  The bad news is that
> since Okrand
> >  didn't list it in TKD or KGT, or used it anywhere else, we don't use it
> >  here on this mailing list.

> -Eodrakken
> I was afraid you might say that.  A word I was really wanting
> recently was "starlight" (Hovwov?).  Have we ever seen that
> in canon?

Or sunlight.  What's the word for "sun", if there is one?
Would it be /Hov'a'/ (i.e. "major star")?  Would /*Hov'a'wov/
be sunlight then?

It would be most interesting if Klingons referred to their
sun (is there a name for the sun of Qo'noS?) as "major
star", because it would imply that their astronomers realized
that the sun is a kind of star early in their history.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
The official site of the Star Trek universe

Back to archive top level