tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 29 07:59:10 2000

new computer games with spoken tlhIngan Hol

Was MO or a member of the KLI involved
with the production of Star Trek: Armada?
The ad just came out, and Michael Dorn
(as Worf) actually does a decent job of pronouncing
/'urmang/.  (I understood him right away
when he said it.)  And I distinctly heard
the Torel (sp?) voice say /tlhIngan/ with the
/tlh/ at the beginning.  Has anyone else seen the
ad?  I think those were the only two Klingon
words spoken on that ad.  Maybe there'll
be more in the actual game.

I've downloaded the demo for Klingon
Academy, another game about to be released.
There are a lot more "Klingon" words in that
game, but I put it in quotes because the
producers took a lot of liberties with people's
and places' names.  (At least they made an
effort... e.g. they used /*chenwI'Duj/ for
"shipyard" which, while it isn't right,
deserves a bit of credit.)

Anyways, now that the Star Trek TV shows
are over (Voyager doesn't count ;) ) maybe
computer games will become a source of
canon.  (We already have KCD.)  We will
undoubtedly see more Star Trek games
in the near future (Activison just licensed
the Star Trek name from Paramount for
10 years), so perhaps that might be an
avenue for the expansion of tlhIngan Hol.

As a speaker of tlhIngan Hol, I was
really delighted to hear it being spoken,
even if somewhat badly.

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level