tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 25 04:08:40 2000

RE: KLBC another name

thank you , you got right to the heart of the question I guess I really
had,  compound word creation.

Lt.Commander Maud Freifelder /Lt.Commander malqa
Chief Security Officer /Chief of Cadet Corps.
USS Triumph NCC-26228/R2/ Starfleet (Triumph Against All Odds)
jIjatlhpa' jatlh Hovmey (The stars will talk before I will)
Listowner of KlingonsServingInStarfleet list at Onelist.com*
Listowner of VoyagerChat list at Onelist.com*

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Andeen, Eric wrote:

> jatlh malqa:
>
> > I have taken a good look at TKD and found this wor
> > naghboch  = gemstone
> > broken down this seems to consist of
> > nagh - rock/stone  and boch - shiny which combine to
> > make the new word or describe the type of rock/stone.
> > Bloodstone is a type of stone/rock as well
> > Therefore was my idea of 'Iwnagh written in the
> > correct order ?
>
> The "parts" here are <nagh> - "stone" and <boch> - "be shiny". The
> difference is that <boch> is a *verb*, so <naghboch> is definitely *not* a
> compound noun. Verbs like <boch> which "express a state or quality" are
> placed the noun they modify, so a "shiny stone" is a <nagh boch>.
>
> Another difference is that while it is permissible on occasion to create
> compoun nouns like <'Iwnagh> on occasion, it is *not* possible to create
> words out of a noun and a verb. There are a number of words like <naghboch>
> and <tajtIq> that *appear* to be made up of a noun and a verb, but they are
> isolated examples, and we shouldn't read too much into them.
>
> <'Iwnagh> is still a perfectly acceptable compoun noun for "bloodstone".
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian
>
> tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm