tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 14:56:34 2000

Re: Prefix Quiz

No, there is no such rule.  charghwI' came up with something clever with
/tIngan Hol/.  It's clever not only because it sounds a lot like /tlhIngan
Hol/, but also because of mushed-together words like /vulqangan/.  It's not
a rule, I was just continuing with his intentional ungrammaticality (I doubt
that's a word).  The asterisks around the word were meant to flag it as odd.

Properly, they would be /tIng ngan/ and /chan ngan/.  However, spoken aloud,
depending on who's doing the speaking, they may very well sound identical to
/tIngan/ and /changan/.

SuStel
Stardate 221.6

jatlh De'vID:
> >*changan* jIH.  chan vIDab.  chan.
>
> Is there some rule that says /Xn/ + /-ngan/
> becomes /Xngan/?
>
> (I do seem to recall that there was such a
> rule... but I can't say where I read it. The
> existence of /vulqangan/ seems to confirm
> this.)

Back to archive top level