tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 20 20:00:40 2000

Re: {nuv} versus {ghot}

qenobIywan wrote:
: Is there any difference between {nuv} and {ghot}? They both mean "person
: (humanoid)," but are there some cases where you would use one over the
: other? I'm reminded of {vaj} and {SuvwI'}, which, according to the
: dictionary, both mean "warrior," but were later revealed to be quite
: different from one another.

Good question.  We've discussed this from time to time, but the short
answer still is:  We don't know.

Okrand has used {nuv} only once:

  butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
  Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. (TKW)

{ghot} seems to be more common; he's used it four times:

  reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
  One is always of his tribe.
  ("A person and his house are always together.") (TKW)

If you can see any differences between the two TKW examples, I'd be glad to
hear them.

  ghotpu' tamey
  Personnel Files (ST:Comm)

  ghotvam Ho'lu'. 'ej muSlu'.
  A man to admire... and hate. (ST5, MO notes)

  wey jolpat: wa' (jav ghotpu')
  Personnel Transporter - 1 (6 Man) (BoP Poster)

Until we have more examples of each, all we can say for sure is that Okrand
uses {ghot} more often.  I would use {ghot} myself, but be able to
recognize {nuv} when you see it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons