tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 20 12:32:45 2000

Re: RE: Klingon WOTD: DarSeq (n)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:20:14 -0600 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:
> De'vID wrote:
> : >Klingon word:   DarSeq
> : >Part of Speech: noun
> : >Definition:     unit of currency
> : >KGT.  [darsek].
> :
> : Y'know, this word makes me wonder if some
> : Paramount writer decided that /DeQ/ (pronounced
> : like "deck", no doubt) didn't sound foreign enough
> : and added an extraneous syllable in there to form
> : this new word.

Are you considering {arS} to be a syllable and {Q} and {q}
to be the same sound? I think you have a few things to
learn about Klingon pronunciation and syllable boundaries.

> I don't know about your theory, but when pronounced right {DeQ} sounds quite
> foreign: /dehKKH/ (with a palatal /d/, a *very* gutteral /kh/ and rhymes with
> "Drake").

Either you are mispronouncing {DeQ} or I'm mispronouncing
"Drake". The pronunciation is much more like someone with a
speech impediment bringing them to use a palatial {D}
starts saying "deck" and someone starts strangling them
right as they hit the "ck". The "e" in the word "deck" is
certainly the same sound as the {e} in {DeQ}. They "a" in
the word "Drake" would be closer to a Klingon {ey}
combination. Without the {y}, it does NOT rhyme with
"Drake".

> Of course few - if any - writers and actors know to differentiate
> between {q} and {Q} and would certainly pronounce it as "deck".

Of course, the {D} would be as wrong as the {Q}, but since
many of us mispronounce {D}, we wouldn't notice so much.

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

charghwI'