tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 16 11:17:40 2000

Re: elements

Pillow wrote:
>> <voQSIp> is nitrogen, but choke-gas doesn't fit the pattern, as we
>> breath it and it makes up a great deal of our atmosphere.

Their's too:

  yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'. yInSIp voQSIp je ngaS muDDaj.
  Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. S27

HomDoq added:
: that said, nitrogen is "choke matter" ("Stickstoff") in
: German too; my guess(!) is, that the name comes because
: a nitrogen atmosphere will "choke" a flame; any chemists?

Oh, good point.  BTW, would a human choke or gag if s/he breathed pure
nitrogen?  Would a Klingon?  (Of course even if the nitrogen didn't hurt them,
the lack of {yInSIp} - "life gas" or oxygen - would!)

: of course I haven't the slightest idea how Klingon chemists
: decided on the names for these gases.

Go ask Maltz; he's a science officer after all. <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level