tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 11 08:01:05 2000

Re: KLBC:Wrap it up

Since this is a vocabulary, not a grammar, question I'll slip in.

peHruS wrote:
: I have a question about {qat}.  Is it only transitive?  The music {qat} the
: words, qar'a'?  So, if I want to wrap a book, for example, do I have to say
: {paq vIqatmoH}?

No.  {qat} was glossed "wrap" in the TKD glossary (p.101), then expanded to
"encase" in the KGT glossary (p.223) - both glosses are transitive verbs in
English.  Also, here's Okrand's discussion of the jargon meaning of {qat}
in KGT:

  "Despite the variety and sophistication of Klingon musical instruments,
   most Klingon music is vocal, with or without instrumental accompaniment.
   When there is an instrumental component, the players are said to {qat}
   the song. The verb {qat} literally means 'wrap, encase', the imagery
   apparently being that the instrumentation adds the final, though not
   absolutely necessary, touches." (p. 76)

Notice his usage: "the players are said to {qat} the song" - transitive again.

So if you want to say "I wrap a book", just say {paq vIqat}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level