tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 13:58:21 2000

RE: "And now..." (WAS: Re: Lumberjack)

ja' HovqIj:

> jatlh pIl'o':

> flavor,
>
> Well, yes, at least I do think so. The {'ej DaH...} should be at the
> beginning, especially considering the fact that they used to say it very
> often on the show, not only in the famous "and now for something
> completely
> different...". Just recall, for instance, how every episode used to begin.
>
> What you could do, however, is something like {'ej DaH pImchu'bogh vay'
> wIbuS...}, but I think we should keep it as simple as possible.
>
> Although the English says "completely different", I think the {pImqu'} in
> {'ej DaH vay' pImqu' wIbuS...} captures the spirit of the phrase pretty
> well.
>
> The {-qu'} emphasizes "different". So this could be translated as "and
> now we'll focus on something *different*..." or "and now well focus on
> something very different...". Whichever translation you prefer, the
> important aspect is that something *different* is to come. And that's what
> it's all about: it's not the same - no, it's different! (you know about
> "no.
> 1: the larch", don't you?)
>
> This is what the English says. In English "completely" just sounds better
> than "very", and it's stronger than a mere emphasis on "*different*".
>
> Another possibility would be to omit the {wIbuS}: {'ej DaH: vay'
> pImqu'...}.
> Note however, that this is not a complete sentence, but neither is the
> English.
>
> The longer I'm thinking about this, the more I come to like that last
> phrase.
> It's as short as the English, it even has the same word order, and I
> really
> like the {-qu'}, especially the impression I get by its sound:
> Just imagine you hear {'ej DaH: vay' pImqu'}:
>
> 'ej - and
> 'ej DaH - and now
> 'ej DaH... vay' - and now... something
> 'ej DaH... vay' pIm - and now... something different
> 'ej DaH... vay' pImqu' (even the stress is on {-qu'}) - and now...
> something
> different - remember: DIFFERENT!
>

> But after all it's just a question of style and others may prefer
> completely
> different solutions. I merely wanted to explain why I personally like this
> one.
>

> >>                                                         pIl'o'
> >
> >veqlargh HIvqa'!  I meant to say  *montI'  ghargh'a'*
>
> veqlargh HIv 'Iv? Hegh'a' veqlargh?

	'ej DaH... vay' pImqu':

	mayqel peylIn: maghoHchuqmeH DarSeq 'ar?

	jan tlheyIS: qajangpu'.

	mayqel: Qo'.  not chojang.

	jan: qajangta'.

	mayqel: Qo'.

	jan: qajangbejta'.

	mayqel: Qo', not chojang.  jI'na'.

	jan: qajangba'ta'.

	mayqel: maghoHbe'chuq.

	jan: maghoHchuqbej.

	mayqel: Qo', maghoHbe'chuqbej.

	jan: Qo'.

	mayqel: maghoHchuqchugh qech pIm vImuch.

	jan: Qo'.

	mayqel: vay' jIja'DI' boja' neH, <<Qo'.>>

	jan: Qo'.  maghoHchuqchugh qech pIm vImuchba'.

	mayqel: boja'laHbe' neH, <<Qo'.>>

	jan: 'oHlaH.

	mayqel: Qo'.

	jan: pItlh!