tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 12:54:17 2000

"And now..." (WAS: Re: Lumberjack)

jatlh pIl'o':

>> > <pImchu'  vay'  'ej  DaH  wIbuS.> loses that *montI'  ghar'a'* flavor,
>> > doesn't it?

Well, yes, at least I do think so. The {'ej DaH...} should be at the
beginning, especially considering the fact that they used to say it very
often on the show, not only in the famous "and now for something completely
different...". Just recall, for instance, how every episode used to begin.

What you could do, however, is something like {'ej DaH pImchu'bogh vay'
wIbuS...}, but I think we should keep it as simple as possible.

Although the English says "completely different", I think the {pImqu'} in
{'ej DaH vay' pImqu' wIbuS...} captures the spirit of the phrase pretty
well.

The {-qu'} emphasizes "different". So this could be translated as "and
now we'll focus on something *different*..." or "and now well focus on
something very different...". Whichever translation you prefer, the
important aspect is that something *different* is to come. And that's what
it's all about: it's not the same - no, it's different! (you know about "no.
1: the larch", don't you?)

This is what the English says. In English "completely" just sounds better
than "very", and it's stronger than a mere emphasis on "*different*".

Another possibility would be to omit the {wIbuS}: {'ej DaH: vay' pImqu'...}.
Note however, that this is not a complete sentence, but neither is the
English.

The longer I'm thinking about this, the more I come to like that last
phrase.
It's as short as the English, it even has the same word order, and I really
like the {-qu'}, especially the impression I get by its sound:
Just imagine you hear {'ej DaH: vay' pImqu'}:

'ej - and
'ej DaH - and now
'ej DaH... vay' - and now... something
'ej DaH... vay' pIm - and now... something different
'ej DaH... vay' pImqu' (even the stress is on {-qu'}) - and now... something
different - remember: DIFFERENT!

But after all it's just a question of style and others may prefer completely
different solutions. I merely wanted to explain why I personally like this
one.

>>                                                         pIl'o'
>
>veqlargh HIvqa'!  I meant to say  *montI'  ghargh'a'*

veqlargh HIv 'Iv? Hegh'a' veqlargh?

>pIl'o'

HovqIj

Back to archive top level