tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 23 21:23:24 2000

Re: Klingon Academy is out!

SuSvaj:
>How much is this treasure?

It's about $50 US.  Up here it's about $75 Cdn.  Shop around and it
should be cheaper.

There's a nod to us Klingonists in the manual.  On page 187:

"Imperial Intelligence Services Note: All crew aboard Kruge's vessel
are dead.  There is no truth to the rumors of the capture and
imprisonment of the warrior Maltz, nor of his supposed assistance
in translating our language for Federation linguists."

There's also an in-game ship's library with all sorts of info about
Klingons.  The manual (almost 300 pages!) is a wealth of information
about the starships of the ST6 period, if you're into that sort of
thing.  The game also fleshed out a little bit more of Worf's
family; we are introduced to Thok Mak, the brother of Colonel
Worf (TNG-Worf's grandfather).

I've played 4 or 5 missions so far and I've learned little tidbits
about Klingon culture/language here and there.  For example, Chang
refers to the Klingon symbol (the trefoil - you know, the red thing
with three blades) as the /tIq ghob/ glossed as "Heart of Virtue".
That's what he called it, though I suppose it really should be /ghob
tIq/.  He also explained what each of the three blades symbolized.

And in the in-game movies so far, I got to find out:

1) How Chang lost his eye
2) Why Chang quotes Shakespeare and Shakespeare's "true"
relationship to Klingon culture

The game comes with a utility to play all the movies (90 minutes
of filmed footage) without having to play the missions.  But I'm
not "cheating" though... I'm watching the movies as I pass the
missions. {{=)

If you ask me, well worth the price.  (Then again, ST6 was my
favourite of the ST movies, and Chang is probably my favourite
Klingon character... so I may be a bit biased.)

[Addendum: Just played some more missions.  Learned more about
the background behind the Klingon Empire before ST6, and the
relationship between Gorkon and Chang.]

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Interplay or Paramount,
and I do not profit in any way from the purchase of this game...
well, except maybe having more people to play multiplayer with. {{=)

--
De'vID