tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 20 14:59:52 2000

Re: Raise your betleH to the stars.....

> > /-vaD/ does not mean target, although it might be a noun indicating a
> > target.  It means "beneficiary," whether of good or bad.  /Sor lurghvaD
> > tajlIj yIQeq/ "Aim your knife, the beneficiary is the direction of the
> > tree."  I don't like it.  /Sor lurghDaq tajlIj yIQeq/ "Aim your knife,
the
> > location is the direction of the tree."
>
> The reason I could see it was because MO used -vaD with regard to speaking
> to someone.  So it seemed to be appropriate. I didn't really like it in
> either use but could see the logic.  The person you speak to might not
even
> be listening but if they are your target then -vaD is attached to them (I
> have got that right haven't I?) That logic seems to be similar to that of
> pointing/aiming at something.

As I said, I can see the logic, but I think that the spatial concept is the
most important here, as opposed to speaking, where there is no spatial
concept to consider.  You aim your knife in a manner which refers to the
direction of the tree.  You don't speak in a manner which refers to the
direction of the speaker.  The speaker is the beneficiary of your speech,
not the target.  We're using "target" in a strictly spatial sense.  You're
using it to mean "beneficiary."

Now, if you want to go and say that the tree is the beneficiary of your
aiming the knife, I won't try to argue against it.  I'll simply disagree.

> > But then, I'd accept simply /SorDaq tajlIj yIQeq/ "Aim your knife, the
> > location is the tree."  Yes, one might interpret this as "Aim your knife
> > while standing next to the tree" instead of "Aim your knife at the
tree,"

> Exactly why I think the logic of -vaD seems to apply. It only because of
my
> English language that it doesn't feel right. But tlhIngon Hol doesn't work
> like English.

So you believe that the tree is the beneficiary of your aiming the knife?

> Just a thought but re: -vaD you can say, "Aim for the Tree!"  so why not
> "Aim your knife for the tree!" can't you?

Indeed, I had thought of that, which is one of the reasons why I say I see
the logic of the argument.

SuStel
Stardate 470.7

Back to archive top level